● The number of airline customers is expected to almost double by 2035 – to around 7.2 billion.
● In 2017, Germans bought goods amounting to a total of 58.5 billion euros online.
● More and more in-store retailers are benefitting from the expansion of online sales: The average turnover for the sector increased by 4.1 per cent in 2017.
● 60 per cent of online orders are made in rural areas, in places with fewer than 50,000 inhabitants.
● 70 per cent of German consumers shop online some or all of the time.
● 59 per cent of national package orders are B2C shipments.
● DAILY DATA CAPACITY: 2.5 quintillion bytes of digital data are produced every day all over the world: 2,500,000,000,000,000,000 (a quintillion is a 1 with 18 zeros).
● DRAMATIC INCREASE IN THE VOLUME OF DATA: 90 per cent of all of the world’s available data was produced in the last two years.
● ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: Thanks to artificial intelligence alone, the German economy is expected to grow by 11 per cent by 2030 (this corresponds to an amount of approximately 430 billion euros).
Sources: MerlinONe, IATA, BEVH, Arvato SCM Solutions, HDE, BIEK, PwC, bevh Illustration: Manuela Heins